Survived with CIPD

I went into hospital in June of 2012 after being told I had Burkitts Lymphoma cancer. I’d had a blood test, CT scan and a biopsy to confirm this. My lump had shown itself on the neck. As a man I had shaved every day, and although I noticed the lump I did not see my doctor for a few weeks. After I did he made arrangements for me to go to hospital. By doing so he indirectly saved my life. Upon getting my diagnosis the hospital doctor made arrangements for me to go to UCLH London the very next day to start treatment. Although quite a shock at the time I found out after that every 24hours this cancer gets bigger due to its aggressive nature. By the time my treatment had started, the side of my neck around the original lump had swollen. Could not fault UCLH at Euston Road for the treatment I received. As arranged by my local hospital, my chemotherapy started soon after admission. I was told that I would need 3/4 treatment cycles. I would not go back to work for about six months. Towards the end of the second cycle I started to loose sensation in both feet. During the third cycle, this loss of sensation continued upwards and the doctors stopped the chemotherapy. I and become paralysed from the waist down. The doctors could not understand what had happened and it took a while before a diagnosis was forthcoming. In the meantime I was given blood tests and a further CT scan to check on the cancer. Thankfully it was gone. Bilateral Lumbosacral Polyneuropathy was the eventual name given to my condition. After reading through the Burkitts Lymphoma website I found a section regarding CIPD, (chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.) this perfectly describes my condition. This has given me a great deal of information about what I am going through, what had caused my paralysis. It has given me plenty of hope regarding a full recovery. I lost all sensation and feeling in my legs, I lost muscle tone and mass and of course was unable to stand or walk. After my chemotherapy treatment I was transferred to a rehabilitation unit at the hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at Queens Square London. After spending three months there I was able to come home. After ten months with help from a physio and regular exercise my nerves are regenerating and I can now stand briefly with a frame and walk a couple of meters. My muscle strength and mass is coming back and I have exceeded expectations of my consultant and hope to walk again in the future. It is always important that if you are unsure, get it checked and act quickly. If I had ignored my lump for to long it would have become terminal. Thanks for reading and wish me luck !

Submitted by:Dave G

Leave a Reply